Several weeks ago, I talked my dear friend Charity into signing up to walk a 1/4 mile marathon with me in Stevens Point. I thought it would be a great way for us to catch up on all that's been happening in our lives and get a little exercise at the same time. Little did I know that it would be one of the coldest, cloudiest, rainiest days of the spring.
Here we are before the race started, all decked out in our emergency rain ponchos!

The (crazy) people who walked the full marathon started at 8 am. The half marathoners started at 11 am. And us lazy folks who only signed on for the quarter marathon started at 1 pm. We were bused, in school buses, to the starting place for the quarter marathon walkers. One quarter of a marathon is about 6.5 miles.

We walked mostly through a wooded trail system within the city of Stevens Point. As we started out, chatting away with only a slight drizzle to bother us, we both agreed to do it again next year...but step it up a notch...do the half marathon course.
But as we got to mile 5, we both slowed down a bit and began to complain of a few aches and pains. We were cold and wet and ready to be done. Plus, Charity had promised to take me to her favorite ice cream place after the race, so we had Bananas Foster Brownie Flurries on our minds.
At this point in the race, all 3 groups of walkers were coming to the end. We crossed the finish line about 2.5 hours after we started. On the way home, we talked about next year's race...maybe we'd just stick to the quarter marathon, but reward ourselves with pedicures for our aching feet!
After several hours spent in the rainy 50 degree weather and then filling ourselves full of yummy ice cream treats, we were freezing. We drove all the way back to Wausau with the heater turned up and the seat warmers on. When I got home, I put on my flannel pj's, my fuzzy slipper socks, and wrapped up in a blanket. What a way to spend a Saturday in June!
Here we are before the race started, all decked out in our emergency rain ponchos!
The (crazy) people who walked the full marathon started at 8 am. The half marathoners started at 11 am. And us lazy folks who only signed on for the quarter marathon started at 1 pm. We were bused, in school buses, to the starting place for the quarter marathon walkers. One quarter of a marathon is about 6.5 miles.
We walked mostly through a wooded trail system within the city of Stevens Point. As we started out, chatting away with only a slight drizzle to bother us, we both agreed to do it again next year...but step it up a notch...do the half marathon course.
But as we got to mile 5, we both slowed down a bit and began to complain of a few aches and pains. We were cold and wet and ready to be done. Plus, Charity had promised to take me to her favorite ice cream place after the race, so we had Bananas Foster Brownie Flurries on our minds.
At this point in the race, all 3 groups of walkers were coming to the end. We crossed the finish line about 2.5 hours after we started. On the way home, we talked about next year's race...maybe we'd just stick to the quarter marathon, but reward ourselves with pedicures for our aching feet!
4 comments:
I'm not buying it for one minute - I'm sure that you both had a great time. Come on - you could do the 1/2 marathon - push yourself. After seeing Charity waddling around church today, I think massages would be in order after the walk too!
Congrats girls on making the 1/4 mile!
It looks like that would be very fun! I would love doing that walk next year. Walking those trails must have made it very nice. Sorry to hear that you had such crummy weather though.
Woot Woo I had a great time and today I feel great. After my awesome foot massage all is great. I look forward to doing it again next year. :) Thanks so much Sue Boo!
Sounds fun! I'd love to join you next year -- but then I'd have to forfeit my Wausau shopping adventure trip. Hmmm...
Post a Comment