Sunday, June 15, 2008

Treasure Hunting on Father's Day


Today we went on a treasure hunt. It's actually called geocaching...someone hides a container, posts the GPS coordinates on the website, and you try to find it. Jason got a new GPS (Global Positioning System) so we decided to see how well it worked. We found a cache location near Marathon City. He plugged the coordinates into the GPS and off we went.

The neat thing about geocaching is that it usually leads you to a place that you never knew existed. We drove the seven miles to the edge of town and turned off onto an unmarked dirt road. We drove as far as we could in the van, then set off on foot.



"It says to go this way!"




We found some flowers and a toad along the way.







After a short hike, we found the treasure in the hollow knot of a big tree!



And now for the best part, seeing what's inside the box and picking something to take home. The rules are "Take something, Leave something". Allie picked a Hello Kitty toy and Meredith chose a kitty key chain. We left a toy top and a super ball.


What a great way to spend the day in the beautiful outdoors of Wisconsin!

10 comments:

Charity said...

How fun! What a nice father's day. I love that little toad pic.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knittinbrit_in_wi said...

That looks like so much fun. But, please tell me that Jason washed his hands after touching that toad. Ugggh!

kimberly sue said...

That is such a cool idea! I love how they do the take one/leave one in the treasure box. Glad you had a great father's day.

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! My brother and his girlfriend do that Geo thing! His friend ended up going all the way to California to find his treasure!
Nice Toad by the way! Did u bring it home for me so I could see if it's a prince? :) JUST kIdDiNG!!!

:) *TERRI* :p

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to spend the day! I've read all about it and hope to get my family to do one soon.

Kendra said...

I can't wait to try that with you guys sometime it looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! I remember you telling me about that in the past. It's nice to see the girls can be involved. I hope that toad didn't go potty on his hands!!!

Sue said...

So I must ask...do all of you think I have "Man Hands"? That's me holding the toad! Or did you think me too dainty to touch such vile creature?

Anonymous said...

If you see us popping up on your counter a lot, my kids are obsessed with looking at the treasure pictures every time I get on the computer.

Oh, and I knew it was your hand all along. :)