Monday, April 21, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Salamanders...Oh My!

Even though we live in the city, we see a lot of wildlife in our backyard. Our backyard is wooded and behind our property runs the Little Rib River. We have an abundance of critters, good and bad, that visit us regularly.

Besides the bunnies, squirrels, and chipmunks...we have lots of deer. One fall, when Jason was hunting with Uncle Don, I called and told him he should just come on home. They hadn't seen a thing all day, but we had 11 deer in our backyard that evening!

I've also had to stop my car to let a group of turkeys cross the street in front of our house. Last week we saw a mallard duck and hen eating seeds off the ground that had dropped from the bird feeder.

But this morning I saw something I'd never seen before...a salamander crawling down the sidewalk!



3 comments:

Charity said...

Oh my goodness! That is so cool. I use to have a salamander when I was younger I named him newt.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I'm just impressed that you knew what a Salamander was! I doubt I'd of waited around to take a picture. As always, you impress me, Sue.

Anonymous said...

He looks rather large! I'm surprised the girls don't have a new pet at home now!!