Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Does this look like a cat who has hyperthyroidism?

Yes, I said HYPERthyroidism!



We take Maty to the vet once a year for a check up and to get her vaccinations. Every time she goes, we are told she is overweight and needs to lose a few pounds. I was sure that this time the vet would be happy because I've recently decreased her food intake and I can tell she's lost some weight. She's down from 17.5 lbs. to 14.5 lbs...and I was waiting for my pat on the back, for finally getting my cat to slim down a bit. But it was not to be. The vet said that's too much weight to lose so quickly. And because I'd mentioned that she'd been vomiting a lot lately, and because her thyroid felt enlarged, she wanted to do a blood test.


Turns out she's got an overactive thyroid, which is a big surprise to us. I found this website: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/hyperthyroidism.aspx and she does have many of the symptoms...weight loss, cranky behavior, poor hair coat (her entire belly is bald), and periodic vomiting. Now we'll have to give her a medication, called a trans-dermal gel, that you rub on the inside of her ears, twice a day. I guess it costs about $30 a month. But she's well worth it, she's definitely a part of the family!

3 comments:

Charity said...

Those pics turned out so well! I love them. I still can't believe Hyperthyroidism. Crazy!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Tilds. I'll have to order some I-131 to bring up there next time I come and give her a quick thyroid ablation!

Anonymous said...

It's the Godfather cat. You certainly know Jason doesn't have a thyroid disorder (well except for the losing his hair part).

- Sean