This is my Uncle Don, he's my Dad's twin brother and he is VERY special to me!
Today is his birthday (and would have been my Dad's too).
His 80th birthday!
EIGHTY!
So...we celebrated with a hot bowl of chili for lunch, a cupcake for dessert, and the Champagne of Beers.

I had to conspire with my cousin Coni to get him to come for a visit. And I knew it was going to be a hard sell.
You see, Uncle Don doesn't like to travel too far from home, even though it's a mere 45 minute drive from his front door to mine.
Besides lunch, my plan was to take him to the kids' Winter Concert at school. Lunch...maybe. Beer...definitely. But a elementary school Christmas concert? I was pushing it to the limit.
So when I called him up to invite him over, his first response was "ohhhhh nooooo honey". And then he made a valid point. He claims he never even attended his own kid's Christmas concerts (which I later found out was untrue) so why would he a) drive all the way to Wausau and 2) go to my kid's Christmas program?
I told him he'd better just make this trip, cuz it'd be easier than the 'guilt trip' I'd send him on if he didn't come.
Plus...I think Coni had to play the 'do it in memory of your twin brother' card.
Well, he survived the car ride, the lunch, and the concert. In fact, I think he even enjoyed himself! The smile on his face as he watched my daughters sing Christmas carols was proof. And for me, the hardest day of the year (because on this day is when I miss my Dad the most) wasn't so hard after all.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE DON!
Today is his birthday (and would have been my Dad's too).
His 80th birthday!
EIGHTY!
So...we celebrated with a hot bowl of chili for lunch, a cupcake for dessert, and the Champagne of Beers.
I had to conspire with my cousin Coni to get him to come for a visit. And I knew it was going to be a hard sell.
You see, Uncle Don doesn't like to travel too far from home, even though it's a mere 45 minute drive from his front door to mine.
Besides lunch, my plan was to take him to the kids' Winter Concert at school. Lunch...maybe. Beer...definitely. But a elementary school Christmas concert? I was pushing it to the limit.
So when I called him up to invite him over, his first response was "ohhhhh nooooo honey". And then he made a valid point. He claims he never even attended his own kid's Christmas concerts (which I later found out was untrue) so why would he a) drive all the way to Wausau and 2) go to my kid's Christmas program?
I told him he'd better just make this trip, cuz it'd be easier than the 'guilt trip' I'd send him on if he didn't come.
Plus...I think Coni had to play the 'do it in memory of your twin brother' card.
Well, he survived the car ride, the lunch, and the concert. In fact, I think he even enjoyed himself! The smile on his face as he watched my daughters sing Christmas carols was proof. And for me, the hardest day of the year (because on this day is when I miss my Dad the most) wasn't so hard after all.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE DON!
2 comments:
That is so awesome that he came over! I know big Dean would have been smiling too if he was sitting watching those precious girls sing Christmas carols at their school program! I'm sure the day was hard but I'm glad your Uncle Don made it an extra special day!
HI SUE, I'M GLAD YOU GOT YOUR UNCLE TO COME OVER AND WATCH THE GIRLS PERFORM THE XMAS SONGS. SOMETIMES PEOPLE WILL GET IN A RUT. GOOD THING HE MADE THE TRIP AND I BET HE FELT 100% BETTER. ESPECIALLY AFTER A FEW BEERS. YES, A 45 MIN. DRIVE IS NOTHING THESE DAYS....THATS HOW MANY MINUTES IT TOOK ME TO GO VISIT MY FOLKS FROM STREATOR TO CAMPUS... BET THE GIRLS ARE ANXIOUSLY WAITING FOR SANTA CLAUS. HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY....LOVE, AUNT ELAINE P.S. HUG THE GIRLS FOR ME....
Post a Comment