Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Scenes from the First Day of School

Moms all over Wausau are doing one of two things today...either jumping for joy (and possibly celebrating with a mid-morning cocktail) or sitting at home bored and lonely. I thought I'd be one of those joyful Moms, but instead I find myself a little sad.

Today is back-to-school day and I had a feeling that one of the girls would have a hard time leaving behind those lazy summer days and the cozy comforts of home. Meredith kept telling me she was nervous. And Allie repeatedly said she could hardly wait to get back. I thought sure I'd be pulling Meredith's tired body out of bed (she's not a morning person) and forcing her through her morning routine. Allie, on the other hand, went to bed last night with her alarm set, so as not to miss a minute of the exciting day to come.

What actually happened was quite different than I expected. While Allie cuddled in bed with me this morning, I could hear Meredith in the bathroom getting ready. At 6:45 am, she came to my side of the bed and announced that she was ready for school. Allie snuggled closer and began to cry. She didn't want to leave me, saying "7 hours was too long to be away from home".

So that's how my morning went...Allie dragging her feet with, every 10 minutes or so, Meredith asking if it was time to go yet.

We finally headed out the door at 7:45 am to take some pictures.


With over a half hour to go before the school bell rang, the neighborhood was quiet, except for another excited Kindergartner, Noah, and his little sis, Ava.


Our little group began the walk to school, waving to other neighbors and friends as we went. It wasn't long before we found some other friends at the playground...


Meredith's friend, Linnea and Allie's friend, Annie.

But the biggest problem with having a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner is one of logistics. The kids line up at different doors, doors that are separated by the playground, making it impossible to be two places at the same time.

It was obvious to me that I had to stay with Allie, to keep her nerves in check. But that meant I missed watching Deef, my baby, walk into school for the first time. Jason was with her but he told me she started to cry as she went inside, saying she didn't get to say goodbye to me.

And that is why, instead of drinking cocktails and munching on bonbons, I'm sitting here in my pajamas at 11:17 am, counting the minutes till 3:30 pm.

7 comments:

Kendra said...

This brought a little tear to my eye, if you would like, Amelia would be more than happy to cuddle on those days that 3:30 doesn't come soon enough! Or... On her school days we can celebrate with mid morning Biggby " cocktails"

Kendra said...

This brought a little tear to my eye, if you would like, Amelia would be more than happy to cuddle on those days that 3:30 doesn't come soon enough! Or... On her school days we can celebrate with mid morning Biggby " cocktails"

Unknown said...

I would have joined ya for that cocktail. Maybe tomorrow lol!

Unknown said...

The girls look so pretty, it's always hard the first day. Loved talking to you this am.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue, I'm with you. I have had two and a half weeks to get used to it, but I haven't quite yet. In fact, it's getting a bit harder for Cade as time progresses because he realizes how long the school day is. He never cried until his 9th day of school and went and told the teacher he misses his mommy. :(

macymoo22 said...

With that big grin on her face, Allie sure didn't look nervous or sad!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I know exactly how you feel. I never got upset when Caleb or the others headed off to school, but I was a bit of a mess the first day. I think having one going into High School this year made me realize how fast it would all go by and I wanted just a little longer with lunch dates with Ethan and heading to Starbucks. Luckily the dog licked up all my tears.